Flooring plays a crucial role in creating appealing aesthetics of your home. It is one such element of the residence that faces the most wear and tear and hence, should be highly comfortable and durable.
Floors lay the foundation for the entire look of your space and hence, have to be carefully chosen. You have to consider your personal taste and style along with its effective functionality. After all, it will be the surface you will walk, stand, and spill upon.
When it comes to picking flooring for home, there is an unimaginable variety available in the market. From hardwood, laminate, cork to tiles and concrete, the options are endless. Flooring also has a wide range in terms of pricing. You can buy anything from high-end wood materials to cheaply priced vinyl.
Installing a new floor is a costly investment, so always ensure that you choose the best one – a surface that lasts for years to come.
Here are a few considerations to keep in mind while shopping for your new floor.
Personal Style and Lifestyle
Floorings are available in an array of colors, patterns, and textures. You can choose the one depending on what suits your preference and style the most. Think about what appeals to you more – the vintage appeal of hardwood or luxurious look of carpets? However, your lifestyle will play a critical role in your decision making. Considering how you use the room, you can make a choice of floor that can accommodate your activities efficiently.
Just make sure you pick the one that complements the furniture and interiors of your room and blends well with the overall look and doesn’t look out of the place.
Thinking where you are going to use the flooring has to be smartly evaluated. Not all flooring options are suitable for every space. Some are great for high-trafficked areas while others are meant to be installed at a place expecting lesser footfall.
- Vinyl: is easy to clean and highly water-resistant. It is an appropriate choice for kitchens, laundry rooms, and mud rooms.
- Tile: is also very water resistant and easy to clean as well. It is mostly used in kitchens and bathrooms.
- Engineered Wood: is the processed version of wood flooring. It is a great fit for all types of areas are free of moisture.
- Hardwood: is the most popular type of flooring. It is very durable and is the best choice for moisture-free areas.
- Carpet: is a preferred choice for space where comfort is a priority. It works well in bedrooms and living areas.
Any type of flooring you install will demand maintenance from time to time to get most out of your investment. However, the level of maintenance required will depend on your choice of flooring.
- Vinyl: can be cleaned regularly with mild soapy water. However, it is prone to denting and chipping if not handled carefully. It is very sensitive to harsh cleaning chemicals and develops abrasions easily.
- Tile: is also easy to clean. All you need is just soapy water and a clean cloth. However, the grout would get dirty over time and hence, would need replacement after a few years.
- Engineered Wood: requires very little cleaning chores. You can maintain its new look by simply sweeping and mopping, Make sure to protect it from sharp objects.
- Hardwood: has to be given regular broom cleanings. This type of flooring tends to develop scratches and lose its shine over time, hence consider buffing the floors to bring back the luster.
- Carpet: requires the most care. They get stained easily and demands regular vacuuming to maintain sheen and shine.