India has long been one of the biggest markets for two-wheelers. That has been even more evident in recent years. And it is such for a good reason. Bikes are efficient, cheaper, and make traveling much more enjoyable. Every person that discovers these qualities wants to buy a motorcycle. Hence, it is natural that the demand for bikes has gone up. Since Indian traffic regulations make bike insurance mandatory, higher demand for bikes means a higher demand for bike insurance.
This means that more and more people want the best bike coverage that they can buy. However, there are two parts to ensuring that your bike insurance helps you. The first is to buy it right, which means comparing plans and considering various factors before planning. The second part is to track your policy after you have purchased. You must make sure that your policy is in good health and that your coverage is intact. Here are all the ways you can check your bike insurance status:
Checking through IIB
India’s Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority or IRDAI is the topmost authority on anything insurance. The organization has introduced a web portal known as IIB that allows policyholders to check information about their policies. The portal collects all the policy data from IRDAI and makes it available for policyholders. If you want to see the tip of your bike insurance policy on the IIB portal, you have to follow the following steps:
- Log on to the official IIB website.
- Select the option of ‘V SEVA’ that you will find under the quick links of the page.
- Doing so will take you to another page, leading you to another page.
- Enter all the information that the page requests, like policy number, date of issue, etc., and fill out the Captcha section.
- Double-check all the information and click on ‘Submit’.
- You should have all your policy details on your screen.
Guidelines for search
- The registration number of your car is mandatory for the search. Moreover, you have to ensure that you enter the number without any special characters.
- Once the policy details have been submitted to the Data Repository by the dealer, the information is only available on the IIB web portal after two months. Hence, there is always a chance that your details might not appear for some time.
- Insurance providers only submit the chassis and engine number of the bike if you carry the same policy to a new vehicle.
- The portal only allows a maximum of 3 searches per mobile number or email address.
Checking through VAHAN
VAHAN is an e-service website created by the Road Transport and Highways Ministry. As part of its efforts to manage traffic throughout the country, it collects the data related to every vehicle. This includes information about the insurance policies of the cars. If you cannot get the information you need from IIB, VAHAN can also be a great source to check your policy status. Here are a few simple steps for you to check your bike insurance policy status on VAHAN:
- Log on to the official VAHAN website.
- Tap on the ‘Know Your Vehicle Details’ that you will find at the top of your page.
- Enter the registration number of your vehicle and verify it before submitting it.
- Click on the ‘Vahan Search’ button.
- Once you click on the button, all the details about your policy will be present on your screen.
Not every vehicle owner is very familiar with websites and apps. Hence, checking vehicle insurance status online can be next to impossible. But there is an offline way to check your bike insurance status. The best place for you to get any information about your vehicle and its policy is the RTO. You can visit the nearest RTO office in your district. Once you reach the office, you will need to find the right counter to request your details. Once you do, you need to provide the correct information to the official at the desk. These details include the registration number of your bike, policy number, personal information, etc. The official at the RTO office will provide you with your policy details.